Career Exploration - Graphic Designer
Interested in becoming a graphic designer for an occupation? This activity's focus is on exploring the career of graphic designer.
Turn In: This is an optional activity so only submit this if instructed to do so or if this is something you would like to complete.
For this activity, you will explore and collect information about the career of graphic designer. Here are some questions to research as you explore the career of graphic designer. If writing a report, creating a presentation, or doing a video report, use the information found during your research and organize that information in a meaningful way.
1. What does a graphic designer do?
2. What type of training is needed to be a graphic designer? What classes/subjects should be taken in high school? What should be studied in college?
3. How much money does a graphic designer make?
4. Who is hiring graphic designers? Are they in demand or are there more graphic designers than available jobs?
5. Where are graphic designer jobs at? All over the world or in specific places?
6. What should I do now to prepare to be a graphic designer if interested in this career?
7. What things do you find interesting about graphic designers?
8. Would you want to work as a freelance graphic designer or part of a company? What are trade-offs? Hybrid options?
9. Where do freelance graphic designers sell their work? what are typical prices for the various types of work sold?
10. What types of tools and computer software do graphic designers need? What type of costs for those things?
10. Other interesting information about the career of graphic designer?
Note: If interested in graphic design, talk with your parents and see if there are things you can do while still in high school. For instance, an internship in a nearby graphic design shop or doing some freelance graphic design work.
Copyright © 2021 Eric Schumm. Permission granted to freely use this in your classroom.